Discussion: RelationalReported This is a featured thread

Showing 3 posts

DeborahMeehan
Relational
Feb 24 2010, 1:48 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 24 2010, 1:48 PM EST
Thanks Eugene. Great editing to get us right to the heart of it. Took another try at addressing the relational question. I see what you mean. The main point we are trying to get at is that we are describing a different way of looking at leadership that is not unilateral or directive with one person influencing a group. As we look at how groups connect to act we believe that leadership engages a group that may even be constantly changing in nature and composition in a process in which people assume and change roles and in which there does not need to be a dominant point of influence. In this type of process individuals actually relax their identity and attachment to specific points of view to create space for direction to emerge and being enriched by many, highly engaged participants.

eekim
1. RE: Relational
Mar 6 2010, 4:15 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 6 2010, 4:15 PM EST
I like the changes; they really tighten up the piece.

Now I'm stuck on the traditional leadership development model and the comment about scalability. Is a focus on individuals really the barrier to scalability? Or is the problem the leadership frame for these programs?

It seems like the need is to shift the frame but continue to focus on individuals. I wonder whether some of the work come out of the Leadership and Networks piece validates this.

DeborahMeehan
2. RE: Relational
Mar 8 2010, 12:58 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 8 2010, 12:58 PM EST
Alain Gauthier, from Core Leadership Development added some new language to the piece about the deep reflective work required of individuals in order to be in service of a more collective and emergent process so in that sense, yes, there is always individual work, and the frame of that work is what is shifting, e.g is the work about becoming more effective as exerting influence over the group or facilitating the group process. I will encourage Alain to join in this conversation.