• Sign in to wikis by wetpaint

Discussion: What are your key learning questions about network leadership?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 5 posts

creinelt
What are your key learning questions about network leadership?
Jan 28 2010, 3:43 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 29 2010, 7:54 AM EST
If you could frame five questions to encapsulate what you most want to understand and learn about network leadership, what would those questions be? Here are five that I came up with:
1. How do networks develop trust?
2. How do networks catalyze/unleash innovation?
3. How do networks set direction/take action?
4. How do networks learn?
5. How do networks scale?
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: leadership networks

JuliusP
1. RE: What are your key learning questions about network leadership?
Jan 29 2010, 5:33 PM EST | Post edited: Jan 29 2010, 5:34 PM EST
I like your suggestions. Here are a few others:
1. What distinguishes a "network" from a "community" (Amitai Etzioni) from a "tribe" (Seth Godin)?
2. What bounds participation in a network, i.e. are there rules of membership or shared values?
3. How do individuals (or formal organizations) contribute to and benefit from network participation?
4. To what extent are network participants mutually accountable? Building on the trust notion.
5. What roles does a "leader" have in a network? Is she even selected?

Food for thought: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." - MLK, Jr.

creinelt
2. RE: What are your key learning questions about network leadership?
Feb 3 2010, 2:48 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2010, 2:48 PM EST
I was just contemplating your first question. One way I understand network is to think of it as the invisible infrastructure that connects people (objects) together; community is about the felt sense of being, learning and producing with others; and tribe( in the Godin sense) are those small groups that break away to chart a course in a new direction. You could see them as clusters in a network map, or change agents in a community. I would be curious what ideas others have about how to distinguish these three: network, community, tribe Do you find this valuable?    

creinelt
3. RE: What are your key learning questions about network leadership?
Feb 3 2010, 2:56 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 3 2010, 2:56 PM EST
Grady McGonagall posted a few other questions in response to the blogpost on Leadership in the Social Sector: Why we need change http://leadershiplearning.org/blog/claire-reinelt/2010-01-27/leadership-social-sector-why-we-need-change
His questions are:
* Can organization-based leaders mobilize networks in areas where networks are more responsive and/or cost-effective, while focusing on a core set of activities that are best accomplished by an organization?
What would be the areas of respective strength/weakness?

creinelt
4. Questions from Ross Wirth's piece on Transformative Networking
Feb 18 2010, 11:50 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2010, 11:50 AM EST
1. What are the simple rules that would enable dynamic networks to form around common interests while also supporting the knowledge sharing needs of a larger, more general network of networks?
2. What is the minimum structure required to permit shared leadership to emerge?
3. What is the mix of network structures required for effective communication across and between multiple sub-networks required for effective communication across and between multiple sub-networks will allowing collaboration groups to informally form and morph as member interests evolve?
4. If a critical mass of like-minded people were networked, how might their collective vision be transformative?