• Sign in to wikis by wetpaint

Discussion: Roles in Online CollaborationReported This is a featured thread

Showing 2 posts

nataliallc
Roles in Online Collaboration
Jul 7 2009, 5:21 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 7 2009, 5:21 PM EDT
I've been giving some thought to different roles in on-line collaboration, and wondered if others had as well. As we develop the Leadership for a New Era Initiative, I think it would be helpful to understand different roles that people might play so that we can orient people we invite to join us. Here are some roles that I see:

Contributing: People post reports, articles, and things they have written to the topic page.
Highlighting:People take the time to pull out ideas, concepts, contributions from their work that they think will be most helpful to the project.
Framing:People create categories and an organizational scheme to help manage knowledge on the topic
Organizing: People extract and organize knowledge about the topic.
Writing:People create new content about the topic.

I'd love to hear what others think.
Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: collaboration

RossWirth42
1. RE: Roles in Online Collaboration
Aug 5 2009, 9:53 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 5 2009, 9:53 AM EDT
The roles you have identified are very similar to those identified for knowledge management initiatives. To your list I might add two more.

Apply - put the documented knowledge into practice, use it (too often this is where KM efforts fail)
Guide - serving as a bridge between the identified knowledge and those who need it, bring others on-board
Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on Wetpaint Central.)