Sign in or
- Defining Gatekeeping (Evelyn)
- Examining the scope of Gatekeeping (Amy)
- Areas of inquiry and discussion (Evelyn and Amy alternating)
a. Gatekeeping in the workplace/human resources culture (Amy)i. Recruitment practices (Amy)b. Gatekeeping and the development of resources (Evelyn)1. A focus on internal recruitment can mean that an agency's demographics remain the same over time.2. Publicity, messaging, and culturally relevant strategiesii. Hiring structures and processes (Evelyn)1. Building the hiring teamiii. Promotion (Amy)a. How are people of color and allies represented in the team?2. Accountability in screening applications:
b. What are their roles?
c. Who has decision--making authority? Or is decision consensus based?a. Who decides access to interviews?3. Interpreting interactions with applicants: how is a good fit determined
b. Is there oversight in place to examine screening decisions?a. How is rapport established?1. Are people of color represented at each level of the organizational chart? Do trends in promotion reflect that?
2. What is the organization's culture around investment in training, mentorship, and networking?i. Programs and services (Evelyn)1. How are resources allocated in a community, and by whom:ii. Networks (Amy)a. Money2. How does the development of a program or a project reflect the strengths and needs of communities of color?
c. Human Services
d. Political support
3. Does program design and staffing reflect a racial justice focus?
4. Accountability for racial power on an organizational and a personal levela. What motivates an agency's mission, culture, and direction?
b. What motivates/drives the work ofi. A leadership team?
ii. Individuals within a leadership team?1. How and why do networks operate toa. Decide access to resources?
b. Determine membership rules?
c. Determine leadership opportunities and succession?
d. Act as keepers of the status quo or as agents for change?
e. How can networks leverage power for meaningful work on race and leadership?
Latest page update: made by bcelnik
, Jul 6 2010, 2:34 PM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by bcelnik
189 words added
- complete history)
Keyword tags: gatekeeping
More Info: links to this page